Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Make. Customized Tote Bags with ECOBAGS

IMG_1938

Straight out of the embroidery hoop (sorry I didn't iron it before taking the photos), I bring you an embroidered tote bag.  This was a lot of fun to make and it reminded me just how much I love to do embroidery.  It isn't the quickest way to embellish an item, but the look can't be duplicated by any other means.  IMG_1939

For this project I used an ECOBAG.  This one is a cotton/hemp blend.  The fabric is sturdy but lightweight enough that it seemed like the perfect canvas for embroidery.  I found a pattern I thought would look cool and kitschy on the bag and went to work! 

ECOBAGS provided me with these samples to try out.  The bags I received use organic cotton but theyIMG_1937 also carry bags out of recycled cotton and hemp/cotton blends.  I thought it only fitting that try to finish this project in time for Earth Day.  In fact, this company has been around for a long time, launching their bags on Earth Day in 1990.  The bags are affordable and can be around $5-$8.  They offer discounts if you buy in bulk and there are wholesale opportunities as well.

My new favorite tote is the shopping tote.  It is so large and sturdy!  IMG_1936 I decided to applique on it.  I applied some Heat n Bond to the red fabric, cut out the word "books", and ironed on each letter.  This is my new library bag.  I'd like to try to keep all of my library books in this bag so I don't have to go hunting for them every time we want to return them.  Maybe this bag will end up *saving* me money from all those overdue fees! 

Labels: , , , , , , ,

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Bookmark and Share

2 Comments:

Blogger Erin S. said...

Oh I love those! They look great! Definitely makes shopping more fun when you have a cute bag to shop with!

3:08 PM  
Blogger kelly o! said...

I love your embroidery work! The pattern is super cool and you have done a great job on it!

5:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home