Thursday, April 16, 2009

Learn. How to Make a Shaped Burp Cloth.

Burp cloths come in all shapes and sizes and there is really no telling which kind someone will prefer. For my son, I'd take anything absorbent. My daughter wasn't such a prolific drooler so I preferred something a little more sleek. IMG_1886

I attended a baby shower last night for a friend and I decided to make a couple of fancy burp cloths. These are made from a brightly colored flannel and some pink minky fabric. The minky is so soft that is feels just luxurious. However, it is super easy to care for which is a MUST for any burp cloth.

Supplies to make 1 (you'll want to make multiples so take that into consideration):IMG_1881

Flannel  10" x 20"

Minky  10" X 20"

Thread

Sewing Machine

Cut your fabric into 10" X 20" strips. Place one layer of flannel and one layer of minky on top of each other and fold in half. It should know measure 10" X 10".

You'll want to place the fold towards you and cut out the sections where it will fit over your shoulder. I cut approximately 1 1/2" off of each side starting at the fold and then curving outwards toward each side. You'll be able to see in the next picture the kind of shape I cut out. IMG_1884

Remember, this doesn't have to be precise. It is a baby burp cloth, after all. You'll want each side to match as much as possible but I just eyeballed it.

Next you need to place your fabrics right sides together and pin them in place. Stitch around the edges and be sure to leave a 2 inch opening on one side.

IMG_1885

After you stitch, trim the seams with scissors or pinking shears. Then, you'll pull the right side of the fabric through the 2 inch opening.

Poke everything through and make sure your corners are all the way pushed out. Now you'll want to top stitch all the way around being careful to stitch over the opening. You can see an example of my top stitching in the very first picture.

IMG_1887I made two of these and rolled them up in a ribbon. This was a gift for a second child so I included a few of my felt flower ponytail holders for the big sister. Burp cloths make great gifts for any new or experienced mother. It's hard to have too many of these things on hand when you have a little baby.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Bookmark and Share

7 Comments:

Blogger LunaMoonbeam said...

Those turned out really great! I was making burp cloths today...for a coworker in DH's office. You can NEVER have too many of these things!!!

2:38 PM  
Blogger Mary Ann Carlile said...

I keep "petting" them - they are SO soft! And Tori loves the hairties - thanks again!

7:38 PM  
Anonymous Janet said...

That's a great idea!

7:48 PM  
Blogger Tara said...

my friend made these for me for my last babies...LOVED THEM!!! favorite gift!

11:00 PM  
Blogger Sarah M said...

awesome gift, Christy! What a great idea.

1:30 PM  
Blogger Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

Oh what a great idea, thanks so much for sharing! I'll be linking.

2:24 PM  
Blogger Anne said...

What a cool idea to make the cloths a different shape! I'm expecting a new niece any day now, and I have a feeling she'll be getting a pair of these.

I posted a link to your tutorial on Craft Gossip Sewing Blog:
http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-fancy-shaped-burp-cloths/2009/04/20/
--Anne

12:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home