Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Learn. How to Make a Fabric Belt

IMG_1847This is one of my favorite projects!  I decided I needed a new belt and I made one.  This is one of those projects that doesn't take a lot of supplies but is so useful! 

I used the fabric to match the fat quarter handbag I made for myself. 

IMG_1840Supplies: 

Fabric (see measurement information below)

D-Rings  1 1/2" are what I used but if you prefer a wider belt, you can go larger.

Fusible Fleece or Interfacing

To make your own fabric belt, you'll need to make just a few measurements.  First, measure your waist.  For a belt, you'll want to add 8 inches to that measurement. I wanted my belt to fit inside 1 1/2" d-rings so I cut the width to 4 inches.  

You may need to piece some fabric together to get your length.  Make sure you add in seam allowances to the length if you do this. 

IMG_1842 Cut your interfacing and apply it to the wrong side of the fabric.  I cut mine a little smaller in the width so I could fold over the fabric with a little more ease.  The interfacing is really just to give it a little bit of bulk. 

The next thing you'll do is fold over the fabric about 1/2" along the length of the fabric and iron it down.  You'll then go along the length of the belt and fold it in half.  Iron that as well.  IMG_1843You should end up with something that looks a lot like this. 

Now it is time to sew.  All of the sewing is top stitching so you'll want to make sure your thread coordinates and you sew straight.  Go down the length of the belt and when you get to the ends, fold in the raw edges so you have a finished edge.  IMG_1844

 

Now it is time to add the d-rings.  You'll want to fold one end of the fabric through two d-rings.  You'll really only need to pull through an inch or so.  Stitch through all the layers.  Do this a couple of times to make it stronger. 

IMG_1845

 

Now you're ready to wear your belt!  That is all it takes.  There are so many possibilities with this tutorial. Why not try a patchwork belt?  This is such a quick project that you can make a belt to match every outfit. 

 

I'm sure you're going to want to try this project.  Make sure you share your finished projects at the flickr group

Labels: , , , , , ,

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Bookmark and Share

5 Comments:

Blogger MandMStudio said...

Thanks for the tutorial, I can't wait to make one.

12:07 PM  
Blogger kelly o! said...

You are one productive bunny! Love the belt. Looks like fun; I may have to try it.

2:11 PM  
Blogger Erin S. said...

Oh, love the belt and the fabric selection! Cute and great for summer!

8:29 PM  
Blogger Anne said...

Great project! I posted a link to your tutorial on Craft Gossip Sewing Blog: http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-sew-a-d-ring-and-fabric-belt/2009/04/14/
--Anne

10:06 AM  
Blogger About Go Eggless said...

Hi, How could we make it with a different type of buckle. I want to have the more typical buckle with holes...

2:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home