Saturday, March 28, 2009

Learn. How to Decoupage a Magnet Board

CraftSassy Scrapbook Paper Made by Me!

This tutorial was made possible by Craft Sassy. I had a chance to try out Crafty Sassy for myself and make my own darn scrapbook paper. I thought I was going to be all fancy and take my own high resolution pictures but I was too lazy and found some online here. I used two different images and made two 12 X 12 single-sided pages and two 6 X 6 single-sided pages.

The process was easy and while a little spendy compared to your typical scrapbook paper, I can see how this service could really appeal to those with those extra special projects. You can use your kid's artwork, family pictures, or design your own scrapbook page layout and have it professionally printed by Craft Sassy. Have you ever thought of designing your own line of scrapbook paper? They have information for wholesale opportunities as well.

CraftSassy Scrapbook Paper Made by Me!

The most difficult part of the whole process was deciding on my images. Once I did, I knew exactly what I was going to make with them. My sister-in-law sent me a magnet board earlier this month. Her sister, of mythreelittleladies, made it using a 12 X 12 piece of tin covered with scrapbook paper. I loved it and thought it would be the perfect way to showcase this special scrapbook paper.

The most difficult part of this project for me was to find the metal. I bought a 12 X 18 sheet of plated steel from a home improvement store. I brought it home to my handy husband to cut with his tin snips. He also broke out some tool to buff the edges. This is all optional, of course. I'm sure the home improvement store would help with the cutting if you ask the right person. My husband also drilled the holes in the metal. They are about 3/4" from the top and 1 1/4" from each side.

The only other things you'll need for this project are: Mod Podge, a paintbrush, scrapbook paper to fit your cut metal, and matching ribbon.

1. Apply a layer of Mod Podge glue to one side of the metal. Don't be afraid to let your kids help you with this. At this point, it is really hard to mess this up.

2. Lay down your scrapbook paper. Use a bone folder to get out any creases or bubbles.

3. Use something to poke out the holes to match the ones on the metal. I just used the back of my paint brush.

4. Go get a drink of water or check your email. Give it a chance to dry a bit.

5. Apply a layer of Mod Podge to the top of the scrapbook paper. If you've never decoupaged before, that's really all there is to it.

6. Wait for it to dry. Maybe you can pick out your ribbon while you wait. Or, eat some chips and salsa. Your choice.

Magnet Board Tutorial

7. Cut two identical lengths of ribbon. Length will vary depending on how you want to hang your magnet board. Just make sure to leave plenty at the ends to tie. You can always cut it shorter but it is impossible to cut it longer.

8. Tie a knot. Trim the edges of the ribbon.

Finished Magnet Boards

9. Enjoy.

I'll be posting a few of these in my etsy shop if anyone is interested.

Labels: , , , , , ,

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Bookmark and Share

4 Comments:

Blogger Melessa Gregg said...

I think you've posted a craft that even I could do! (My mom and her BFF rocked the Modge Podge in the mid-70's, so I'm already familiar with how it works.)

10:48 PM  
Blogger Tiffany said...

Super cute! How difficult was the part Carl did for you? (because at my house I'd be doing it all.)

8:56 AM  
Blogger Christy said...

Tiffany- you could definitely do it yourself. As long as you have tin snips and a drill, you should be good to go. I would ask the home improvement store first, though. I didn't have time when I was there or I would have.

9:26 AM  
Blogger Ashley said...

I love this! What a great idea -- thanks, as usual!!

8:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home