Friday, April 03, 2009

Q & A Formula Can Crafts

A while ago, Kristi from The Perkins Clan asked me a question for me to answer here on Q & A.  By the time I had gathered some formula cans and started to work on some projects, she had her own flash of inspiration and used some to keep puzzle pieces and toys organized.  I had a few ideas myself and today I'll show you one of the options I came up with.

My kids are of the age now where they are getting the concept of money.  They like to go to the store and buy things.  We're trying to teach them how to save for things and in our family, we tithe 10% of our income.  I wanted a way for them to be able to have a piggy bank where they can divide their money between what they can spend and what they should tithe. 

  The bank I made for my son is beaded.  To help me with the beading, I used the Tool-Light.  More about that later…

I used 12.9 oz formula cans.  You'll want to make sure they are cleaned out and you can rip off the outer paper. 

Cut a strip of paper 4 3/8" X 13 1/2".  This will wrap all the way around.  I didn't have any paper that length so I used a 12 X 12 inch piece and cut an extra 1 1/2 inches to cover the seam.   Just add glue to the wrong side of the paper and then roll the can over the top of it.  Press to get out any air bubbles.  Set aside to dry.

I added a double-sided sticky shape to the can.  Attach one side but leave the red backing on until you're ready to cover it with beads or glitter.  Once you take  it off, you can start placing the beads. 

I used the tool-light to help me with this.  It did an okay job of picking up the beads but it wasn't as easy as I thought it would be.  I actually did a better job using my fingers.  I'm going to give tool-light the benefit of the doubt and think that maybe I didn't choose the right project.  However, I don't know if I'll be able to use it again because my husband wants it for his own tool box.  They are well made and come with plenty of batteries so you don't have to worry about the lights going out anytime soon.  If you are a jeweler or are in need of tweezer type tools for your craft, they are worth a look.  The light is such a great bonus!

3382695091_9fd82e862c I made another one for my daughter.  She picked out the paper herself.  I used scissors to cut the coin slots in the lid.  We glued a piece of paper inside the can to separate the two areas.

I had some pom-pom fringe leftover from the February Craft Challenge.  I think it turned out really well.  I used a ribbon instead of another strip of paper to cover the seam on this bank.

I have a lot more ideas (and cans!) for this Q & A so you'll be seeing more formula can crafts here over the next several days.  Do you have a favorite way to use your leftover cans? 

You have a little while longer to get in on the Martha Stewart book giveaway.  Comment here

Labels: , , , , , , ,

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Bookmark and Share

2 Comments:

Blogger Mrs. Wright said...

Great idea! I did the same thing but mod podged over the paper to seal it. I left the lid off and made a set of desk organizers for markers, pencils, etc.

10:27 PM  
Blogger PerkinsClan said...

Awesome idea! I have cans filling up my counter, and they can really use a piggy bank!

9:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home