Thursday, May 21, 2009

Make. Drunken Argyle Sweater Vest in Progress

I've been working on this sweater vest for my husband for a long time.  It is the Drunken Argyle pattern from Knitty.  I finally gave myself a deadline.  I will have this vest finished in time for Father's day.  Here's how my progress has gone over the years.

Finished the back in April 2007 (picture taken today)

IMG_2030 I can't find the exact date that I started this project but I'm sure it was late 2006 or early 2007.  It's been a while. 

I'm using Knit Picks Essentials sock yarn on size 3 needles.  Good thing my husband only needs a size small.  Otherwise, it might have taken me 6 years to finish it! 

This pattern isn't for the faint of heart.  You have to use a chart because the pattern is not repeating so every row is different.  That's the only reason it has taken me this long.  I can only work on it when my husband is home to take care of the kids.  It also isn't a very portable project.  I can't just toss it in my bag and take it to knitting group.  It requires a little more focus than that.

May 2007

In this picture you can see my chart.  I use a Knit Picks magnetic chart holder.  This is a lifesaver.  I started out just using post it notes but those weren't reliable as they would shift.  I've been happy with the chart holder.  Here's a little tip if you're working with a chart:  color it!  There are symbols on the chart denoting which color you need to use but I didn't want to waste brain power trying to remember that the + squares= black and the - squares = green.  I just used some colored pencils and colored in the the blocks and that has helped so much.

March 2008

Not much progress, eh?  I put the project away for much of 2007 and dusted it off again in March 2008.  I worked quite a bit on it and took another break.  I got it out again last week and have been working on it a little more.

Today

IMG_2029I'm a few inches past the armholes and a few more inches away from the v-neck.  I'm sure it will go quickly once I reach that point since I will have fewer stitches to knit. 

Do you think I'll be able to finish it by Father's Day?

Labels: , , ,

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Bookmark and Share

3 Comments:

Blogger Tiffany said...

He better wear it when you get it done! That looks so complicated. Good job for not giving up.

5:25 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

It's looking great so far! And I do think you will get it done by Father's Day. ;)

11:34 AM  
Blogger Melessa Gregg said...

I think YOU will get it done. I can almost guarantee that I would have given up much sooner.

4:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home