Sunday, May 24, 2009

Make. Spring Ruffled Top / Skirt

I wanted to try out this pattern from Sew, Mama Sew.  It is for a Spring Ruffled Top.  I love the way these tops look but I should realize that these don't look good on me!  No matter how much I am drawn to these patterns, I need to run away! 

This does have a happy ending, though.  I made it into a skirt!  Here is what happened:

IMG_2036

This is a picture of the top (without the straps attached) on my duct tape dress form.  As you can see, instead of flattering, it makes a mockery of my big chestedness.  Don't get me started on the pleats in the back!  Those gave me a humback to no end.  Seriously.  Not flattering for me. 

When I was done trying it on, I decided that it looked pretty cute off the dress form and might make a nice skirt.  I wondered if it would fit me.  It did!  It is a little loose in the waist but not enough that I needed to take in in. 

All I needed to do was add some fabric to the bottom to make it a little longer.  I had already cut out the fabric for the straps so I had those ready to go.  I added that around the bottom of the top skirt and it was finished!  IMG_2043 This was one happy mistake and the bonus?  It was made from FREE FABRIC!  I can see myself making a lot more skirts now. 

Have you ever had a craft FAIL turn into success? 

Labels: , , , , , , ,

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Bookmark and Share

6 Comments:

Blogger kelly o! said...

Great save Christy! Totally cute summer skirt. Are you planning to make more? Maybe a matchy one for Eva?

6:33 PM  
Blogger Erin S. said...

Looks great! That's the sign of a true crafter-you can be flexible with the project and make it work for you!

8:19 PM  
Blogger wendysue said...

And it's a fabulous green! I think the fabric just always wanted to be a skirt, never a top.

8:35 PM  
Blogger annies home said...

very pretty mistakes come and mistakes go but what counts is what you do when the mistakes happen You did great

9:02 PM  
Blogger Crafterella said...

I have been wanting to make that top, but now I know better! Great way to reuse/repurpose.

12:22 AM  
Blogger kristib said...

That's great! I actually bought a dress from Old Navy that was that same style (gathered with straps over the shoulders), but I bought it with the idea that I would use it as a skirt. Now I have a fantastic tiered skirt from a dress that was not flattering on me. I'd like to think great minds think alike? :)

12:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home