Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Learn. How to Refashion a T-shirt.

The skirt pattern will have to wait until tomorrow.  We're having a rainy day and I want to get some better photographs for the pattern.  Instead, I give you this t-shirt tutorial a day early!

IMG_2048 Here is the finished shirt on my duct tape dress form.  I really like the way it turned out and I can see myself making even more of these!  There are so many variations you can do and it was super quick and easy.IMG_2045

I started out with two t-shirts.  The green one was ripped and the white one was stained. 

I cut up the green shirt so it would fit in my die cut machine.  I used the scallop circle die from Stampin' UP.  You don't need to have a die cut machine for this.  It was just super quick for me to run my t-shirt through there and get some uniform shapes.  You can cut out your own shapes using scissors.  I found this tutorial using cut up heart shapes. 

IMG_2046

Here you can see my stained shirt and my stack of scallops.  Get some embroidery floss that matches your embellishments.  You can also use doubled up thread. 

You'll want to do a running stitch through the scallop shapes.  All that means is you want to run your thread and needle up and down across the shape two or three times.  This will gather up the shape and then you'll want to tack it down on the t-shirt. 

Once you have one down, pull the needle and thread through the t-shirt to the front.  You'll want to make sure you pull it up underneath your shape so it is hidden.  Repeat for your next shape. I used six scallop circles for this shirt.  IMG_2047

I have several ripped t-shirts that I have big plans for.  Next time I'm going to use smaller shapes and different colors for a new effect. 

I'd love to see your t-shirt creations!  Share them at my flickr group

Labels: , , , , ,

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Bookmark and Share

4 Comments:

Blogger Amanda @ www.kiddio.org said...

Cute! My kids are the creative sort and ALWAYS have stains on their shirts. I'll give this a go :)

xo, Amanda @ kiddio

12:56 PM  
Blogger wendysue said...

I love this, and like I said at church, it's a permanent corsage!

6:11 PM  
Blogger Maren said...

I luurrvve this. I can't wait to ruin a few shirts so I can try it out. :)

8:19 PM  
Blogger Salinda said...

Way to save a shirt! I love the "forever" corsage!

8:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home