Thursday, June 04, 2009

Make. Free Skirt Pattern: Pick Your Panels

IMG_2072

This pattern was made up out of necessity.  I really wanted to use that green chicken/egg fabric for a skirt but I only had one yard.  It is a directional print so that made it even  more limiting.  I came up with a plan for a panel skirt.  In the end, I found this to be a great way to combine fun fabrics and by choosing a solid dark color for the side panels it made the skirt slimming! 

To make this skirt fit your size and fabric requirements, you'll need to do a little math.  As such, fabric requirements will vary.  I made mine using a total of 1 3/8 yards. 

Measure your waist.  Take that number + 1. 

Divide that number by the number of panels you would like in your skirt.  The brown panels in the photo above are 1/2 panels and count as 1. 

If you have a 35" waist and want 6 panels, you will divide 36 by 6.  This is your waist number. 

The next number you'll need is your flare.  Take your waist number and multiply it by 2.  Our flare number would be 12. 

Now you need to decide how long you want your skirt.  I cut mine out to be 22 inches long but this is personal preference.  I'd rather cut it too long than too short!IMG_2073

You now have your panel measurements.  They will be 6 inches at the top, 12 inches at the bottom, and 22 inches long. 

In this picture you can see the general shape of the panel.

 

 

To cut your panel pieces to these measurements, you'll want to cut your strips using the flare number and the length.  In this case, you'll make 6 strips measuring 12 X 22. 

Fold the strips in half lengthwise.  Use your ruler to make a diagonal cut to the 3 inch mark (or HALF of your waist panel number).  When you unfold the panel, it will be 6 X 12 X 22 (or waist panel number X flare number X length). 

Sew your panels, right sides together, along the long edge.  I used a 5/8" seam.  Continue around all of your panels and join them when you reach the last panel.  I used pinking shears to trim all of my seams. 

IMG_2074

For the waistband, fold your skirt in half and measure around the waist.  Multiply that by 2 to get the measurement all the way around.  Cut a 5 inch wide strip to measure the same length as your waist (plus 1 inch).  For the example skirt the measurement would be 5" X 36".  You can also piece this together if you don't have a 36" length of fabric.

Sew the short ends of the waistband, right sides together. 

Iron the fabric in half lengthwise.  Then open it up and fold and iron in 1/4" along each length. 

With the waistband folded in half, pin it to the top of the skirt with right sides together.  Stitch it to the skirt but leave a 1 1/2" opening so you can thread your elastic. 

Cut your elastic 2" less than your waist measurement.  Using a safety pin, thread it through the casing.  Sew the two elastic ends together being careful not to twist it.

Now you can stitch up the opening.  I used 1/2" elastic and wanted it to stay near the top of the waistband so I did a top stitch around the waistband making sure not to catch the elastic. 

All that is left now is the hem!  I did a simple hem on this skirt and just folded up the bottom a couple of times and stitched around.  You could easily add another fabric around the bottom or a ruffle to make the skirt a little more unique.  It's up to you!

I'd love to see your finished product.  Don't forget to share your photos with the flickr group

Here is my skirt (and shirt)  "in action" backstage after the Yanni Voices concert in Omaha. 

3585622328_358f3b5f06

Labels: , , , , , , ,

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Bookmark and Share

10 Comments:

Blogger Debbie said...

I have been on a major skirt kick lately. I even just finished up another one this morning. I totally love the panel idea. I saw something similar on another blog and have been dying to get to the fabric store to pick out some more fabrics! :) Yours looks super cute. Way fun. :)

12:42 PM  
Blogger Tiffany said...

Wow, so fun. I want to try this. We shall see if I actually do.

7:57 AM  
Blogger LunaMoonbeam said...

Oooh...this skirt looks like fun to make!! Thanks for the easy tutorial...if I ever get around to making clothes for ME, I'll make this!

8:03 PM  
Anonymous gina said...

Your "tutorial" seems easy and workable! I see many skirts on the horizon..... :-)

9:28 AM  
Blogger michelle@somedaycrafts said...

Cute skirt! I love the material. I linked to this at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com

10:11 AM  
Blogger michelle@somedaycrafts said...

Cute skirt! I love the material. I linked to this at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com

10:11 AM  
Blogger Anne said...

Great idea for using smaller cuts of fabric!! I posted a link at Craft Gossip Sewing: http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-a-line-skirt-with-panels/2009/06/10/
--anne

8:35 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love this skirt. I love the making my own clothes because it makes me and my clothes Unique. Thanks for this easy tutorial. Honestly LOVE IT!

12:20 AM  
Blogger Koningskind said...

I love the skirt. Thanks for the tutorial.

9:56 AM  
Blogger Smokering said...

Beautiful! What a cute print. I've been trying to wrap my head around the whys and wherefores of pattern-following recently, as blindly following patterns without "getting it" doesn't tend to end too well... and this makes perfect sense.

So if I wanted to make a skirt with considerably more flare/twirl to it, could I just triple or quadruple the waist measurement instead of doubling it when I cut my panels? Would I need to curve the bottom of the panels somehow, or would a straight edge be OK?

6:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home