Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Learn. How to Make Shrinky Dink Logo Charms

I shamelessly stole this idea from Crafterella. She made some to use as tags on her etsy shop items and I loved them! I asked her how to make them and if I could share the tutorial with all of you.

I decided to make these charms to put on some friendship bracelets I'm planning on handing out at BlogHer. Will you be there? Do you want a bracelet? I'm hoping to have about 100 to give away. We'll see how long my hands hold up.

IMG_2208

Supplies:IMG_2201

  • Shrinky dink plastic
  • inkjet printer
  • paper punches

The first thing I did was put my logo in a word processing document and made it the size I wanted (just over 1 1/2"). I repeated the design as many times as I could over the page.

IMG_2202You'll also want your picture to be reversed. I did this by going into the tools section and choosing "rotate". One of the choices is flip horizontally. That's what you want to do.

Before you print, change the properties on your printer. You want to use the "draft" option. It uses less ink and will prevent smudging.

IMG_2204 Be sure to print on the "fuzzy" side of the plastic.

Next you'll want to punch out your circles. I used a 1 3/4" circle punch. Then I used a 1/16th" punch for the small hole on top.

Follow the instructions on the shrinky dink package for baking. Mine went into a 325 degree oven for about 90 seconds.

IMG_2207

Here you can see a before and after. They shrink up rather nicely and ended up being about the size of a thumbnail.

I really love the way they turned out and I can't wait to pass out the bracelets at BlogHer!

Hope to see you there!

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Bookmark and Share

11 Comments:

Blogger Robyn Wright of Robyn's Online World said...

Those look so awesome! What a great idea and what a job well done!

8:46 PM  
Blogger Andi @ udandi / Lunch It Punch It said...

Those look great & I hope your hands hold up! I love shrinky dinks for zipper pulls :) See you at BlogHer!

8:59 PM  
Blogger kelly o! said...

They look great!

9:37 PM  
Blogger Crafterella said...

Yay, they look great, thanks for the "shout out"!

9:47 PM  
Anonymous Tsoniki Crazy Bull said...

Those look so great! I tried using shrinky dink paper that you can print on but totally messed it up. I saw some just the other day in the craft store and really want to try again! :)

12:57 PM  
Anonymous julie k said...

These are totally cute!

5:02 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Clever marketing idea!

7:33 PM  
Blogger kelly o! said...

Hope your bracelets are a big hit! Happy travels!!

12:00 AM  
Blogger Maren said...

Did you see your mention on Design Mom today for these? Muy impressivo!!

6:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Paris-Charm-Bracelet-postcard-eiffel-tower-vintage-ooak_W0QQitemZ160339424369QQcmdZViewItemQQptZHandcrafted_Artisan_Jewelry?hash=item2554f97471&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Hi Victoria!

I am looking for help in finding instructions to make my own postcard bracelets. The above is a link which will take you to a picture of what I am hoping to do. Take from my own collection of vintage postcards, reduce them to charm size, print and cut. Then, one has to use a plastic and a resin. Do you know anything about this craft? Can you direct me to anyone?

Thanks,

Annette Jimison

4:27 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

Visiting from Today's Creative Blog. LOVE THIS! Very cute!

10:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home