Monday, December 29, 2008

Make. Simplicity Pattern 8331 Purse

Simplicity Pattern 8331 Bag D

Completing this purse marked a new point in my sewing career. I finished my first (usable) project using a Simplicity pattern. I have several patterns and found them to be confusing. My brain just doesn't quite work that way. To their credit, I used to have this same problem with knitting patterns but have since gathered enough experience that I now understand the basic construction of most knitted garments. I think I'm starting to be a little more experienced with sewing and can now follow basic instructions.

Simplicity Pattern 8331 Bag D

This purse is now in the hands of my sister. She asked me for a purse for Christmas and who am I to disappoint? I followed the pattern exactly until the end. The pattern calls for stitching down the sides of the bag to make it more of a square shape. I liked it too much the way it was so I skipped that part.


Simplicity Pattern 8331 Bag D

My favorite part of the whole bag is the lining. It has a 2 inch panel of the main fabric before switching to the lining fabric. The pocket is also just the right size for my sister's camera. Bonus.

I will definitely use this pattern again. I miss this purse already and would love to make one for myself. The only thing I might change is the flap. The flap attaches to the inside of the bag instead of the outside. I think I might prefer it if it attached to the outside of the bag. I might add another pocket on the other side, too.

Next time you're at your local fabric store and patterns are on sale for $.99, you won't regret picking up Simplicity Pattern 8331 (I made bag D).

Labels: ,

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Bookmark and Share

2 Comments:

Blogger Tiffany said...

That's really cute. What type of fabric did you use?

7:19 PM  
Blogger Christy said...

I can't remember where I got the fabric but it is 100% cotton has fusible interfacing added to make it a little stiffer.

9:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home