Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Make. Spice Rub Recipe.

Spice Rub Tins

This project is so easy, I had my husband make them. Things were getting a little hectic before Christmas and I really needed help finishing up some gifts. This was the perfect thing for him to work on.

The recipes listed below made enough rub mix to fill up 6 tins each. We filled the Beef Rib Rub and the Pork Rub tins a little more because the recipe made a little more than the Steak Seasoning.

Spice Rub Tins

Pork Rub Recipe

  • 1/4 cup black pepper
  • 1/4 cup paprika
  • 3 tablespoons sugar
  • 2 tablespoons salt
  • 2 teaspoons dry mustard
  • 2 teaspoons chili powder

Beef Rib Rub Recipe

  • 1/4 cup paprika
  • 1/4 cup mild or medium chili powder
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup ground black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon garlic powder
  • 1 tablespoon salt

Steak Seasoning

  • 4 tablespoons salt
  • 2 tablespoons paprika
  • 1 tablespoon black pepper, coarsely ground
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon coriander
  • 1/2 teaspoon turmeric

The favor tins are available at almost any craft store or Wal-mart. They are also available online here. We used 6 tins for each recipe. I was going to make my own printables for the top and some nice paper along the sides but time just wasn't on my side. Now that they are done simply (using the printable stickers that come with the tins), I'm glad they ended up like that. The recipients of these gifts could care less about having decorated spice tins.

Spice Rub Tins

One thing we added was a magnet on the back (the tape was so I could transport them and not worry about spilling). This allows for easy storage in a number of areas. Alton Brown, my hero, stores his spices on magnetic strips on the inside of his cupboard cabinets.

If you make this project, I'd love to see how it turns out. Please share it at my flickr group.

Labels: , , ,

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Bookmark and Share

2 Comments:

Blogger Lynette Fast said...

clever idea Christy! Think I'll try some spice rub myself.

8:26 AM  
Blogger oobbles said...

I love alton brown.

6:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home