Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Learn. How to Make a Hanging Bouquet from Pottery Barn Kids

Hanging Bouquet Tutorial

I was looking around Pottery Barn Kids online for some ideas for my house. I saw these hanging bouquets and I knew I could make my own! These aren't the kind of supplies I keep around my house so I had to go to a craft store.

Hanging Bouquet Tutorial

Supplies needed:

styrofoam ball
silk flowers (approximately 80-100)
ribbon
safety pin
glue

Everything was on sale and I spent just over $11 for the supplies.

Hanging Bouquet Tutorial

Most silk flowers you can just pull off the stem. These were perfect because there were a lot to a stem and they were multi-colored. The little stem hanging off is perfect to punch into the styrofoam.

Hanging Bouquet Tutorial
Because this is going to be hanging from the ceiling, I didn't do anything more to the flowers than just punch them in every inch or so. If you want them to be a little more permanent, go ahead and dip the stems in glue before pushing them in.

Hanging Bouquet Tutorial

The most difficult part of this project is the hanger. Cut a length of ribbon (doubled). Add a safety pin to join both ends. Dab some glue on there and then stuff the safety pin into the styrofoam.

Hanging Bouquet Tutorial

Let it dry a while before trying to hang your bouquet.

This project was so quick and easy. Your kids could really do it themselves and be creative with the things that put on their bouquet. The options are endless.

Hanging Bouquet Tutorial

I think my daughter will really like having this hang over her bed. Want to make one for your home? Share your finished projects at the flickr group.

Labels: , , , , , ,

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Bookmark and Share

5 Comments:

Blogger oobbles said...

That's super pretty!

1:05 PM  
Blogger Maren said...

I love it. Maybe I'll make some to welcome spring or Easter...

Why couldn't your craft challenge this month have included a styrofoam ball and silk flowers? :)

1:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What is the finished size? Is it small or big?

2:22 PM  
Blogger Christy said...

It's about 8" around. Sorry I forgot to mention that.

2:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How beautiful! I've started making these for my wedding but have a slightly different process. I pierce the center of the ball completely thru with an awl and pull a pre-knotted loop of ribbon thru. The knot at the bottom keeps the ribbon from pulling out. As far as the flowers go, I use wire cutters to cut them 2" or so from the base of the flower and put hot glue on the spot I'm putting the flower and press the stem into the styrofoam. They are so fun to make!

12:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home