Friday, January 23, 2009

Learn. How to Knit and Knit in the Round Knitting School Lesson 4

Knitting School Lesson 3

By this time you should have your supplies. You may have even cast on. This lesson is probably the most important one. You will learn how to knit and how to knit in the round on circular needles.


Knitting School Lesson 3

For this pattern, you cast on 40 stitches. When you have all of your stitches on your needle, you want to make sure they aren't twisted. This just means that you want all of the loops to be on top all the way around with no spiraling. Then you're going to scoot all your stitches around evenly on your needle and place needle with the yarn ball attached in your right hand (or left, if you're a lefty).

Knitting School Lesson 3

Add a stitch marker. You can buy fancy stitch markers on etsy or you can just use a piece of yarn in a different color tied in a slip knot. Basically, you just need something that will fit around your needle and you can just slip around each time you start another row. You'll want to place the stitch marker on your working needle (the one with the yarn ball attached).

All of these steps are probably the hardest you will encounter on this project. If you can get through that, you're home free.

Now it is time to learn how to knit. Because I still don't have a way to film my own tutorials, I went to find some online. You'll want to start knitting using the working needle and inserting it into the stitch on your other needle. You'll keep knitting around and around. You'll get lots of practice with the knit stitch.

Right Handed Knit Stitch Video
This video includes another type of cast on. If you'd like to skip that and go straight to the knit stitch, go to the 2 minute mark. It also shows you how to turn around but since we are knitting on circular needles, you won't ever do that on this project. You'll just slip the stitch marker and keep knitting.



Left Handed Knit Stitch Video
This video also includes the cast on. If you'd like to skip that and go straight to the knit stitch, go to the 2 minute mark. It also shows you how to turn around but since we are knitting on circular needles, you won't ever do that on this project. You'll just slip the stitch marker and keep knitting.



Continental Method
This is a popular way to knit, as well. You are doing the same thing--just using a different method.



Left-handed Continental




Knitting School Lesson 3

Every time you come to your stitch marker, just slip it from one needle to the next. Don't knit it!

Knitting School Lesson 3

You'll want to keep knitting until you've gone around 11 times. The next lesson will be about increasing the number of stitches and you'll get the rest of the pattern.

If you feel you need a little more help knitting in the round, check out this video.

Labels: , , ,

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Bookmark and Share

4 Comments:

Blogger oobbles said...

Okay, what's with the wierd method of casting on in this post compared to the other post. Why is this posts method look more complicated and use the other end of the yarn? Does the slip stitch count as a stitch? I'm not sure now if I have 40 or 41 cast on.

10:02 AM  
Blogger oobbles said...

Also, my plastic connector is really stiff, is that normal? I feel like it's making my stuff lay wonky when you said it should all lay neat on the top. It keeps curling funny.

10:03 AM  
Blogger oobbles said...

Okay, I gotta say I am not enjoying this. I cast on fine, but then I was having major trouble getting my needle in the stitch, like it was too tight, and this yarn is such a loose twist, I was catching just part of it, and now, 8 stitches in, I just realized I don't think I was paying attention where the little inbetween yarn was, weather it was in front or in back of my needles, so now I probably should start over and now my yarn will be even crappier to work with. AHHH

10:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chimera C - I had the same trouble. I ended up just making a blanket on the needles (not in the round obviously, but that was the first mistake I made...looked like a leg warmer for an elephant). All the working and the weight got rid of the stiffness and conditioned the needles (mine are bamboo) and taught me to work loosely enough and also get the feel of the yarn enough that I didn't keep splitting it (much). Plus I had a blanket when I finished :-) I also do what I call a kindergarten cast-on - just twist and loop - because that's how I can make the cast on stitches loose enough that it isn't a war to get the needle into them. Might not be the solutions for you, but I thought I'd share.

12:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home