Sunday, January 11, 2009

Q & A. Beginning Card Maker Supplies

This question comes from Melessa at But I Digress.

Q: My 7 year old loves to make cards. What basic supplies should I buy to get her started?

A: Great question! Starting a new hobby can be a little overwhelming with all of the supplies that are available. I hope that in this post I can give you a few ideas on how to get your child started.
This Melissa and Doug Deluxe Stamp Set is a great starter kit for kids. I actually have this kit in my Amazon shopping cart to get for my own daughter. It includes a wide variety of stamps, a few different colors of ink pads, and some colored pencils. Like most Melissa and Doug products, it comes in a wooden storage box so it should be easier to keep the supplies together. Include a pack of cardstock or some pre cut cards and she'll be ready to go!

If you don't know if stamping is the what she'd like to do, you might stock up on some great paper and stickers.




You can usually find good deals on these "stacks" at the big craft stores. I'm still using up paper from a 12 X 12 stack I bought over 2 years ago.

The great thing about making cards is that you really don't many tools. *I can't believe I wrote that as I'm surrounded by lots and lots of tools that I use to make cards* What I should say is that to make most cards, only a few essential tools are necessary. The most important would be scissors and adhesive. As the parent, you'll have the best idea on what kinds of tools are appropriate for your child to handle so I won't go into too much detail on the tools.

If she's ready to take it to the next level, I'd introduce ribbons, buttons, and/or brads. These are fun and easy embellishments that can really add a lot to a card (and make your daughter feel like a craft superstar).


Have a craft question for me? Email me at christy AT christynelson DOT net

Labels: , , , ,

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Bookmark and Share

1 Comments:

Blogger Melessa Gregg said...

Thank you very much! Her birthday is at the end of this month and I think she would love the Melissa and Doug set. She is obsessed with all crafts, so I think stamping will be something she really enjoys. (She made Christmas cards for everyone in her class with printer paper and colored pencils, so I want her to have more fun for her class valentines.)

12:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home